February is American Heart Month so we have decided to dedicate a few of February’s posts to some Heart Healthy recipes that are relatively easy to prepare and make. Time is always one the biggest factors in preparing meals, so we have also tried to keep prep time minimal.
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 4-5 smaller tomatoes
- 1/4 to 1/2 of a regular sized red onion (we kind of just eye-balled it 🙂 )
- 1-2 avocados (not your typical ingredient for bruschetta, but we love avocados so we just threw them in.)
- Hand full of basil leaves
- 1 finely chopped up garlic clove (we cheated and bought minced garlic, but hey the flavor is still there!)
- 2-3 tsp. of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. of EVOO
- Salt and pepper to taste
– Cook chicken as desired. We would have preferred the grill, but it is February in Nebraska and we currently have quite the snow drift on our back patio….so baked in the oven did the trick for us! We threw some salt and pepper on each side of the chicken breasts, pan seared it on the stove- a few minutes on each side, then wrapped each chicken breast individually in tin foil and baked them in the oven at 375 degrees for about 30-35 minutes.
-While the chicken cooked, we chopped up and mixed together our tomatoes, onion, avocado, basil, garlic, oils and salt and pepper. Stuck it in a bowl in the fridge until the chicken was ready.
We served it with brussel sprouts (which we bought frozen and cooked per the package instructions.)
So there you have it, a pretty simple and healthy recipe that was ooohhhh so delicious! We also cannot wait until our fresh grown tomatoes are in season at the Orchard, cause that would make this even more tastier! 🙂